Sunday, November 13, 2011

Derek DeYoung Brings Fish To Life via Canvas Fish!

Spruce Your Home Up With Some Canvas Fish


No doubt that if you have visited a Fly Shop in the last few years you undountedly seen some of the best artwork out there showcasing manhy fly shops and galleries abroad. If you are looking for true to life artwork in relation to fishing, this is the guy!


Derek DeYoung is one of those artists that was born painting. By age six, he was declaring to his schoolmates and family that he would one day be a famous artist. Few people who knew him well ever doubted this prediction. His parents say he was a stubborn little kid, but that very stubbornness is what now gives him the strength to persevere the hardships that accompany the life of an artist.

“I’ve committed my life to being an artist, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. To be an artist is more then just painting a scene on canvas. An artist sees the world differently then most people. I am always seeking out the beauty in life and in the world, searching for that magical experience or vision that will inspire me to paint at a higher level. The act of pursuing trout and steelhead with a fly rod contains so many of these magical moments. For me the truly inspirational vision, both as an artist and as an angler, comes once I’ve landed a particularly beautiful fish. I hold it up, tilting the fish back and forth in the sunlight, allowing all the subtle colors and patterns to come alive.”

Derek is often asked why he paints fish. “I find fish so interesting and they are truly a challenge to capture on canvas. When I paint a fish, I try to capture all the intricacies they possess, their scales, patterns, dimension and texture.”

DeYoung’s work has veered off from the traditional fish illustration style. His paintings are very contemporary, placing more importance on using a unique style and palette rather than painting a fish to look photo realistic.


We had a great time this past year in January attending another great showing of artist in the Fishing Industry, some incredible work as well as Fly fishing Art.





Bookmark and Share

MORE AT FLYFISH ADDICTION
FTOTHEA

No comments: