Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Spring Trophy Trout Stalking!

Cold Weather & Nasty Winds Means Big Fish



Got a Hallpass for the weekend and guess where I'm headed? Back to the Gunny area for some fun and some double digit trout chasing.

One thing is for sure about this place; there's plenty of wind, cold weather and a tough fishing to be had. One great day and one terrible stormy day to end my trip, hey a few good fish so no complaining here!

nicebeastyboy2

The first thing to decide on when heading there is who's in, usually I can only get 1 or 2 trout bums to tag along, most can't deal with the distance, weather or frustration in landing these fish.

It was 3:30am bright/early and I was up out the door before I could think about it. When 8:30 rolled around guess who was in the parking lot rods rigged and fresh coffee in hand.


peaksmonarchpass

Rough weather weekend which was to be expected. Most of the masses stayed away due to the weather forecast, that and most of my friends. I did luck out with one great blue sky day but my last day, as harsh of weather and you could expect. It takes a lot for me to not want to fish but by 2pm I was wind burned and finished!

bigbow55

I was up at 5am and to the Parking lot by 6am with 2 hours to spare before anyone showed up. It took it's toll on me and by 1:30 I was headed out when I decided to hit my last hotspot. It paid off with this gorgeous Rainbow above, she took for a ride 50 yards downstream and one wild fight!


cutbow

Fat Cutbows, what more could you ask for? Tough fishing despite a few nice pigs as well. 4x tippet not 5-6x was the way to go seeing how I get tired of all the breakoffs and even worse, all the breakoffs from others when I land the fish. Talk about a charm bracelet found on each one, learn to fight fish or use 3-4x so these trout don't have to carry around your three flies next time. The thing about this place is you need to know your ability and be smart about it, these fish take enough beating and to the guy who was using 7x, good luck to ya landing one on that light tippet!

muleys


Some friends made it a few days prior and got blown out by wind, sorry I didn't get to fish with you this time. A few more friends are headed back a few days after me from Minnesota to Trophy Stalk! Good luck and I can't to get back again soon.


rams2

I just got another invite yesterday to hit this place again, man that's a tough one to pass up on but I'm headed to the Pan for a little Birthday fun with my gal so maybe by July this place will see me again when the drakes come off.



Lot's of good memories from freezing my tail off this winter and Spring here. Ahh the misery, long drives and cold weather...wouldn't change a thing and counting down the days again till I get back!
bigbow66






Checkout These Similar Threads


Bookmark and Share

MORE AT FLYFISH ADDICTION
FTOTHEA

12 comments:

Fishguy said...

Dude those are some Hawgs!! Nice animla shots again as well. Can't wait to get back out there

Troutdawg said...

Thanks man, the fish gods were good to me a few weeks ago! Get your butt out here to catch some

Unknown said...

Slabs!!!! Looks like a blast - great post.

Troutdawg said...

Thanks Bro' fun times and yes, a few big fish came my way.

Sanders said...

looks like you had some fun...those were some pigs!

Bigerrfish said...

Hmm Im puzzled by what you said about tippet sizes...
"good luck landing one" with 7x...
from what ive found, 7x gets you a shot at landing four, But I aggree if you want to land "one" of those things 4x is where its at! Some are after more.

vanckirby said...

very nice! i dont get to see trout like that

Troutdawg said...

Bigerfish,

I agree with you but from what I've seen and the ability of some anglers (mostly ones that aren't the best at fighting big fish)on some major tailwaters, 7x can get you into plenty of fish. The problem is for those in seacrh of big fish and fighting on 6-7x may not end with a fish to net. 7x can definitely catch plnety of fish and many aren't into chasing the big boys. My viewpoint is be smart about it and if in search of 8+lbs and bigger 3-5x is the way to go. A friend of mine who manages Orvis the other day also confirmed this topic we had on fighting fish on light tippet

Troutdawg said...

vanckirby,

I'll be honest, I normally don't get to see fish this big either. Just got a few lucky breaks thanks

Unknown said...

Incredible fish. Just another place in CO we have to fish. Funny you mention the jewelry thing; Dustin and I removed quite a few hooks this weekend ourselves from previously caught fish as well. We had some fish get off, but I only had one break me off.

-stephanie

Troutdawg said...

Absolutely!

That's good to only have one break off over the weekend, I usually loose a few rigs just casting, caught in trees or bad knots...

Anonymous said...

I've seen these fish before and if I'm not mistaken, a 20-30lb fish on this river isn't out of the question. Sometimes it makes me wonder why the San Juan down here is so popular. Great fish!