Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Winter Fly Fishing Crested Butte, How Cold is Too Cold?

Wintertime Fishing Season Down South, Bring The Gloves

It's 3:30am and I have one thing in mind, it's time to hit the road and head to the Gunnison Valley for some fishing. With my winter filled with way too many fishless weekends, it was time to make up for lost time.



Crested Butte is a killer place to visit whether you make it here in the Winter season or in the Summer. I would highly recommend that if you make it here in the Winter, one needs to bring a bunch of clothes. Cold weather is just part of the experience and if you can't stand the cold, freezing toes, numb fingers and fishless days....this aint for you!



Yes that is a correct reading, that does say -7' temp on this lovely Saturday out on the water. Cold doesn't so anything for me but frostbit fingers are enough to change my perception. 30mph winds also didn't help today but I did manage to catch some nice fish.


Regardless of how you do out on the water, Crested Butte is the perfect place to spend some time in. Hardcore skiers call this place home, fly fishers enjoy fishing where the rivers aren't frozen and local brew pubs are filled to capacity come ski weekends!







Bookmark and Share
MORE AT FLYFISH ADDICTION

FTOTHEA

7 comments:

cofisher said...

One of my favorite places in the world...just not during the Winter any more. I can't afford to lose any other body parts.

Danny said...

Great to see! I haven't made my trip up to the Taylor yet this year but am looking forward to going soon.
Thanks for the post
-Danny
www.deltatroutforce.com/blog

Danny said...

Great post! I'm looking forward to heading up to the Taylor this spring.
-Danny
www.deltatroutforce.com/blog

Troutdawg said...

Howard thanks, yes indeed one of my favorites as well, just maybe next time when it's warmer ;)

Troutdawg said...

Danny,

Thanks and good luck making that way, it aint easy and those big trout can teach you lesson...I know they've worked me pretty good over the years.

Anonymous said...

You're crazy to be out out in that nasty weather Troutdawg, but I am jealous though!

Pete

Troutdawg said...

Pete thanks, I definitely learned my lesson!